UNESCO Associated Schools
Throughout Germany you can find about 300 UNESCO Associated Schools. The schools work closely together and benefit from the broad international exchange with more than 11,500 UNESCO Associated Schools in over 180 countries.
UNESCO Associated Schools Network
There are more than 11,500 UNESCO Associated Schools in over 180 countries worldwide - around 300 of them in Germany.
UNESCO Associated Schools implement the goals and values of UNESCO in their school profiles and mission statements as well as in everyday school life and pedagogical work. They are committed to peace, cosmopolitanism and sustainable development. The network is an actor and driver of Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship Education.
Goals and focus
UNESCO Associated Schools focus on intercultural learning with one central goal: learning to live together in a pluralistic world of cultural diversity. They are committed to an education that enables people to live a fulfilling life and to develop their personality. They concentrate on six UNESCO educational approaches:
- Human rights and democracy education
- Intercultural learning, living together in diversity
- UNESCO World Heritage education
- Education for sustainable development
- Global Citizenship Education
- Freedom and opportunities in the digital age
UNESCO Associated Schools in Germany
- integrate UNESCO educational concepts into school programmes,
- explore teaching concepts and pass on successful approaches to schools within and outside the network,
- form an active network in which each UNESCO associated school participates with its own actions, projects and partnerships in Germany and worldwide,
- oganise and participate in national and international seminars, youth camps and exchange programmes,
- include non-formal learning places and partners in the learning process,
- are supported by coordinators at school, state and federal level as well as by the Ministries of Education and Culture,
- disseminate UNESCO educational concepts.
The Network in Germany is coordinated by the respective State Coordinators at the level of federal states and at federal level by the National Coordination.
In case of contact, please refer to bundeskoordination(at)unesco.de.