Open Educational Resources
Open Educational Resources (OER) are teaching, learning and research materials in any medium – digital or otherwise – that reside in the public domain or have been released under an open license that permits no-cost access, use, adaptation and redistribution by others with no or limited restrictions.
OER can be any sort of online and offline learning resources. Course material, curricula, textbooks, videos or podcasts may be OER when released under an open license.
Education benefits from OER
OER offer numerous opportunities to promote knowledge societies and make an important contribution to inclusive and equitable quality education.
- Through the collaborative creation and continuous development of educational resources, more quality and relevant learning material is freely available.
- When collaborately creating educational material, learners are actively involved in the educational process. Students learn best when actively involved.
- OER can be adapted to specific learning situations and learning needs, promoting inclusive and equitable education.
How do I find OER?
Use the OER world map to find OER repositories, actors, initiatives and policies around the globe.
Use a specialized OER search engine, such as
- Elixier: www.bildungsserver.de/elixier (German-language offers)
- CC-Search: search.creativecommons.org (international offers)
Use an OER repository or OER web directory, such as